My thoughts, as I learn and unlearn things while trying to make sense of this mad and bad world.

Monday 24 May, 2010

Quarter Life Crisis 1.0

"The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began,
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many path and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say."
- The Lord of the Rings, Fellowship of the Ring, Book 1

Where is it all going? Why are we here? What's the point of it all? What is the secret to happiness? How screwed up is my life? Is there hope for recovery? Do all my peers feel the same way or is it just me in this dark abyss? How do I turn this around? How do I go back to being the happy-go-lucky 21 year old that I was? When will the sun rise again?

Life is a funny thing. It somehow knows what will make your gut wrench. One fine day, out of nowhere you find yourself amidst a crowd but still weirdly alone. And then these thoughts begin ... the more you think of it, the more terrifying it becomes. Once you start thinking about it, you cannot stop. It's always there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you crazy.

You wonder that how and when did you become so neurotic and creepy. You think and think, but are unable to pin point any specific incident that tipped you over from your happy self to your current state. Lately, you find yourself worrying about anything and everything under the sun. Most people a generation elder to you told you that once you finish your education and start working, the REAL party time in your life begins ... and continues till you decide to start a family. So how come you are not enjoying your current life as much as you had expected that you would? What went wrong?

Welcome to your quarter life crisis. It's real and it's here. It's a nasty SoB, but the good news is it will go away. One day.


4 comments:

Sam said...

sod that mate!! it drives one nuts... makes you sit up late at night wondering did you take a wrong turn or not? is it all really worth the trouble? the cliffs over the seas look tempting at times... as does the beautiful eyes of some lass in a yellow dress sitting next to in the bar :P
bam bhole!!

arnavsinha83 said...

It's comforting to know that I am not the only one who has been haunted by these feelings lately. BTW, I bought a guitar but don't know the first thing about playing it (or even holding it)!

If I remember correctly, you are a self-taught guitarist, right? Any advice for a novice? I don't think it is possible for me to join lessons in the near future, and neither do I want to wait till my schedule clears up. Can you point me to any resource that can help me get started?

Aditi Sharma said...

The day the expectations cease to exist is the day it shall end too.

Sam said...

dropped you a link on your timeline... check that.

Labels