My thoughts, as I learn and unlearn things while trying to make sense of this mad and bad world.

Tuesday 21 April, 2009

Finding the Purpose: A Journey of Introspection and Self-Realization


Why do I love Calvin and Hobbes? Is it because reading it reminds me of my childhood days when life was much simpler? Or is it because its creator, Bill Watterson, does an excellent job of portraying the complexities of life through the innocent eyes of a six-year-old? While I am not sure about the answer to that question often I, just like Calvin, find myself wondering about the purpose of my existence. The last nine months of my life at the Mays Business School have offered some vital clues to that puzzle and I now feel that I am a lot closer to solving the puzzle than I ever was.

Self awareness is a critical precursor to deciphering one’s role in the circle of life. Being self aware means knowing certain inherent things such as your strengths, weaknesses, sources of motivation, etc. However, most of us are not tuned to the voices within us that often tell us very clearly where our strengths and weaknesses lie. Hence, it is a good idea to take a trip into your inner world to find out certain truths about yourself that we commonly feel that we have no time for in our day-to-day life. It is this journey into the realm of one’s mind that is one of the most rewarding and exciting trips that a person can ever undertake. For me this journey was punctuated by numerous aha moments as I unraveled facts about myself one-by-one.

Undertaking this journey would have been a lot tougher, though not impossible, without the tools that were at my disposal such as the Birkman, the energize/drain journal, and the StrengthsQuest assessment. These tools gave me valuable feedback that helped me both, reaffirm some views about myself and also question some things about myself that I always thought were true. Overall, I am extremely pleased that I got an opportunity to undertake these assessments as it has made me more aware of my strengths and shortcomings.

I always knew that some of my biggest strengths are communication, positivity, strategic thinking, and my ability to turn thoughts into action (activator). However, my biggest strength, as pointed out by the StrengthsQuest assessment was input – indicating an insatiable thirst for knowledge and a desire to learn new things. Now that I think of it, I realize that I have always been a person who can spend hours at a stretch surfing the internet and reading about things as diverse as Roman history to the latest developments in the field of medicine. I can recall that I once told my supervisor at my previous job that I would rather have a “broad-and-shallow” knowledge base rather than a “narrow-and-deep” focus, while justifying my candidature for a new job profile within our organization.

A complaint that I had with my software job was that it did not offer me enough opportunities to learn new things on a day-to-day basis outside of the world of technology. Realizing the fact that a typical software development job would never be able to offer the continuous sense of novelty that I seek, I decided to get an MBA to facilitate a career shift into the world of media and advertising where opportunities for continuous and diverse learning would be far greater. Somehow, I have always been reasonably good with numbers and technology despite my dislike for jobs and courses that involve detailed technical and numerical analysis. When I decided to make a career shift, I was plagued by the concern that was I leaving something that I am good at, only in the hope of catching a unicorn? Looking at the StrengthsQuest assessment (that did not list ‘analytical’ as my top strengths) gives me a tremendous surge of confidence that I took the right decision and has also opened the doors of my mind to consider some career options that I had previously not thought of.

I remember my father telling me about a cognitive psychological tool called the ‘Johari Window’ when I was a child. That was when I came to know that there are things about people that neither they nor the people around them know (the fourth quadrant), and that thought made me extremely uncomfortable. Being the inquisitive person that I am, it has always been my endeavor to learn as much about myself as I can possibly learn by seeking constant input from the people around me. For a person who is obsessed with learning something new about the world every day, it is not shocking that he is equally obsessed about learning new things about himself!

None of my other strengths surprised me and were largely expected. My past record speaks for itself and clearly indicates that communication, positivity, strategic thinking, and my ability to turn thoughts into action are indeed my biggest strengths. The past nine months in a business school have encouraged me to keep walking on the path that I have chosen and have convinced me even more that I am playing to my strengths. Encouraged by this positive reinforcement of my self-evaluation, I see no need to readjust my career plans. I strongly believe that we are all born to accomplish something. Before we can do that, we need to have a clear goal so that we can work towards it. Identifying the goal is the toughest part of the job, and sadly this is the part that most of us fail in. Someone once said that “a journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.” In my opinion, the first step is getting to know yourself and chalking out a career path that is in perfect harmony with one’s core strengths because therein lies the key to happiness, satisfaction, and success. All one has to do to achieve the aforesaid is to pay a little more attention to the details, just like Calvin.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Cheers on finishing your last BUAD assignment. :)

arnavsinha83 said...

Ye ! Ye !
God is great :)

IkM -- The IKM way of life said...

damn..so you have been the one pushing me into the C-zone(in BUAD) all this while ...grrr..
Great job anyways..

Protege said...

Hey Sunny - nice post.. good luck on your journey ahead. I relate with you when you said that the toughest thing is to find out what are your strengths and what do you want to do all your life. By the way do you have links to the tools that you indicated - Birkman, the energize/drain journal, and the StrengthsQuest assessment. I am sure readers of your blog could also benefit from it.

Some time last year I read a book StrengthsFinder 2.0 and subsequently logged on to its website to take the test and figure out my strengths. It was a very useful exercise for me. Here is the link for other inquisitive folks - http://www.strengthsfinder.com/113647/Homepage.aspx
Note: the test requires a code that could be find behind the book's back cover.

Aditi Sharma said...

I agree. Period.

arnavsinha83 said...

@ Protege

Here are some of the links ...

http://www.birkman.com/
https://www.strengthsquest.com/

The Energize/Drain Journal is not a formal tool. Here's how it works -

1. Carry a diary with you for one full week.
2. Jot down how you feel after doing your day-to-day tasks throughout the day. Do you feel energized after watching a comedy movie? Do you feel drained after cooking dinner?
3. After one week, analyze your entries. You should be able to see some sort of pattern between the jobs that energize you and the ones that drain you.

It's tough to proactively maintain such a diary, but I would recommend everyone to try this at least once. The insight that you can get from this task is tremendous. Needless to say, you have to be extremely diligent and honest while doing this.

What were your strengths according to StrengthsFinder ?

Protege said...

Thanks for posting the links Sunny. I will try them out.

In my case, Strengths Finder revealed the following top 5 themes:
1. Learner
2. Achiever
3. Harmony
4. Competition
5. Analytical

Personally, it was not a revelation but it certainly helped to reaffirm my belief in these strengths.

The guide also contained the following (verbatim from the guide's TOC)
• A brief Shared Theme Description
• Your Personalized Strengths Insights, which describe what makes you stand
out from others with the same theme in their top five
• Some examples of what the theme "sounds like" — real quotes from people
who also have the theme in their top five
• 10 Ideas for Action
• A Strengths Discovery Activity to get you thinking about how your talents and your
investment work together to build strengths that you can apply to your work and personal
life
• A Strengths-Based Action Plan for review with a friend, manager, or colleague

Apart from this I remember, one of my close friend shared with me an exercise he was asked to do during his MBA program - writing your autobiography. They were locked up in a room with only books and note pads, writing accessories for 24 hrs and just asked to introspect. He said it helped him to understand himself better and suggested that this exercise should be done by everyone during the forming years.

Again, thought provoking post. Hope your readers can take advantage of these tools as well.

Keep blogging.

arnavsinha83 said...

Hmmm ... I am getting the feeling that this StrengthsFinder and StrengthsQuest is not much different at all.

My strengths were -
Input
Communication
Positivity
Activator
Strategic

Anonymous said...

It is my first post here, so I would like to say hallo to all of you! It is really amusement to meet your community!

Anonymous said...

This is a great post. Thanks so much for sharing, like always.

Labels